Visualizing the FutureDemand for 3D Graphics and Real-time 3D Skills Across the World
About the Project
In 2019, Burning Glass Technologies partnered with Epic Games to analyze the growing demand for 3D technology skills in the US economy. In 2021, they collaborated again to analyze the demand of 3D technology skills all around the world.
Singapore has the heaviest demand for digital skills among five Asia-Pacific economies studied by Burning Glass Technologies, according to a new report.
Canadian workers need to add more baseline digital skills to their resumes to keep up with their rapidly growing digital economy.
Demand for 3D technology skills is growing quickly in the job market—so quickly, in fact, that demand for these skills is outpacing the growth of the labor market overall. 3D skills, best-known for rendering immersive experiences virtually indistinguishable from real life, have now become essential in industries as diverse as architecture, manufacturing, health care, media, and entertainment.
Burning Glass Technologies has partnered with Epic Games to share the latest findings on the demand of 3D skills in the US economy and around the world.
Visualizing the Future: Demand for 3D Graphics and Real-time 3D Across the Economy
To quantify the increased demand for these skills and to investigate factors impacting the use and adoption of 3D graphics and real-time 3D skills in the US workforce, Epic Games partnered with Burning Glass Technologies on a joint report, Visualizing the Future: Demand for 3D Graphics and Real-Time 3D Across the Economy.
Some key findings include:
- Demand for cutting-edge real-time 3D skills is growing quickly. Demand for 3D graphics overall has grown 42% faster than the market overall. Demand for real-time 3D skills, which are at the technological frontier of 3D graphics, has grown 601% faster than the market overall and now accounts for 10% of all openings calling for 3D graphics, up from 4% in 2013.
- Proficiency with 3D graphics is a foundational skill for engineers and is valued in a variety of fields. Nearly half (48%) of all demand for 3D graphics is in engineering, and 1 in 5 job openings in engineering requests at least one CAD skill. In information technology and design and media, 3D graphics and real-time 3D are being used to create immersive experiences.
- Real-time 3D skills are undersupplied, and that is unlikely to change any time soon. Demand for deal-time 3D skills is growing rapidly, take longer than average to fill, and is associated with a large salary premium. These jobs pay 57% above the average advertised salary and 18% above the average advertised salary for jobs requesting 3D graphics skills in general.
Visualizing the Future Globally: Tracking Worldwide Demand for 3D Graphics Skills
Epic Games and Burning Glass collaborated once again in 2020 to further research the labor demand for 3D graphics skills—this time broadening the scope internationally. Burning Glass analyzed job postings in select English-speaking nations, such as the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore, as well as 20 European countries.
Using the same list of key 3D graphics and real-time skills as the US report, Burning Glass found similar and, in some cases, even more noteworthy results than in the US report, highlighting that 3D graphics and real-time 3D skills are in high demand across the globe.
Some key findings include:
- In the European and English-speaking non-US countries Burning Glass analyzed, there were almost 34,000 job openings looking for real- time 3D skills in 2019, and demand for real- time skills in 2019 has multiplied by as much as 30 times in Singapore, and has grown at almost twice the pace of the US demand for graphic 3D skills.
- Demand for 3D graphics and real-time 3D skills is outpacing overall job market growth in the non-US English-speaking nations studied. The market for these is growing more than 10% faster than the overall job market and over 50% faster than that of the average information technology skill.
- Demand for certain 3D graphics and real-time 3D skills is rising in career areas that had not previously registered demand for these skills, like Unreal Engine in media and design or 3D rendering in fashion design.
- Demand for some 3D graphics skills is becoming universal across all geographies studied, while for others it remains geographically fragmented. Countries like the UK and Germany are the dominant force, universally showing the highest demand for 3D graphics and real-time 3D skills in a variety of occupations and industries.